Friday, March 1, 2013

Quiltcon 2013: The Quilts & Lectures

As you have seen, I had a great time at Quiltcon, but besides the workshops I did some other amazing things! First and foremost Quiltcon is a Quilt Show, which means there were fantastic quilts to view! I really do wish now that I had submitted something to the show, but I'm just not ready to be "judged" on my quilting ability just quite yet. Some of my favorite quilts can be found in the following slideshow and can also be seen on my flickr page.



David Butler
I was also really inspired by the demonstrations and lectures. In particular I found Jacquie Gering and Katie Pederson's demo (from their book Quilting Modern) on their quilt making process with example quilts to be fascinating. I also couldn't get enough of Amy Butler discussing her process of Fabric design. I felt so inspired by her talk and have a renewed interest in her fabrics. Her husband David also gave a very interesting talk about photography and the role an image plays in their various products. Sometimes it is not about the technical brilliance of a photograph, but the way it makes you feel that is important. Denyse Schmidt's keynote was just as fascinating. It was compelling to hear her story, to understand why she creates the way she does and how her process works. I already respected these "giants of industry," but I really came to value their creative process and idolize them just a bit more.

If you didn't get a chance to come to Quiltcon, several of the lectures are available FOR FREE to watch at  http://www.craftsy.com/

Overall, I felt Quiltcon 2013 was fantastic! I still can't believe what the team was able to accomplish for their first time. Everything seemed to work without a hitch, I'm sure their were some, but to the casual observer it looked like smooth sailing :)

I can't wait to go again!

No comments:

Post a Comment